What is “nice cream”?
Fantastic question. Nice cream is essentially, well, plant-based ‘ice cream’.
So, any kind of frozen, creamy dessert resembling ice cream that is non-dairy and plant-based, can be considered nice cream. The most common form of ‘nice cream’ is banana nice cream (SO GOOD)! You can also try out our Strawberry Banana Nice Cream!
If you’re like me, and dairy-free (I’m lactose intolerant – one thing that led me to vegan-ism), or just eating a plant-based diet, you might find that you really really miss creamy foods. Specifically, desserts! So when I found out you could make your own plant-based soft serve ice cream, I was ecstatic. Banana nice cream. Banana peanut butter nice cream. Banana berry nice cream. Banana pineapple nice cream… lots of possibilities. So when I heard about trying sweet potato banana nice cream – I had to see what that was like! And let me tell you – it is just as good as it sounds!
How do you make ‘Nice Cream’?
Nice cream basically consists of fruit (or in our case, a sweet potato & fruit), and occasionally, a splash of some kind of non-dairy milk. There are a few ways to go about making it – most commonly, using a food processor or high speed blender like a Vitamix. But there are also some nifty kitchen gadgets like the Yonanas Frozen Treat Maker that will pretty much make nice cream out of anything – as long as its frozen! And no need to add any non-dairy milk either. I used to have one of these, but when we downsized to a smaller kitchen, I had to get rid of it since I could do similar things with my food processor. Sacrifices! It was amazing though.
Essentially, you freeze whatever fruit you want to turn into soft-serve, and then you blend the hell out of it, and try not to eat the entire thing while scraping it into a bowl (to eat right away), or a container to freeze and scoop later. Freezing it for about 30-45 minutes makes it easily scoopable, so if you are really fond of scooped ice cream (or want it in a cone!) that’s the option for you!
sweet potato nice cream recipe
Sweet Potato Nice Cream with Peanut Butter Topping
1 Large Sweet Potato
1 Frozen Banana
Splash of non-dairy milk (if needed)
(For the Sauce)
1/2 tablespoon Peanut Butter
1/2tsp Maple Syrup
Hot Water to Thin
- Bake your sweet potato at 400° for about an hour, or until fully soft. Let cool, and then cut into cubes and freeze until solid – several hours. (I recommend doing this ahead of time, like the night before.)
- In a food processor or high speed blender, combine the frozen banana & sweet potato with a splash of non-dairy milk. You can add a splash of maple syrup if you want more sweetness. If you’re using a Yonanas Frozen Treat Maker, alternate inserting slices of sweet potato, and slices of banana as you go. No non-dairy milk needed.
- Using a spatula, press the nice cream into a large flat container with a lid. Freeze for 30-60 minutes or until a little more solid, and of a scoop-able texture.
- While freezing, prep your Peanut Butter topping. In a small bowl, combine your Peanut Butter & maple syrup. Add small amounts of hot water at a time and stir or whisk until incorporated.. You want to add enough hot water that it softens the PB into a pourable/dripping sauce. It may be more hot water than you expect!
- Scoop your sweet potato nice cream into your desired bowl or container, topping it with the prepared sauce. For optimal texture/taste, eat right away (you can put it back in the freezer, but will have to let it thaw in the refrigerator before eating again).